Monday, July 9, 2007

All That Glitters ~ Early Evening Thoughts

The decision to move was not an easy one to make. I had accepted a new job with a company that rents apartments by the week. While an interesting concept, and one that seemed to have validity, I was concerned about the number of managers the property had been through in the last period of time. In "digging" into the situation, I decided that it was something I would be able to handle and something that I could make work.

Any position with short term rentals, be it apartments or hotels, the speed at which things happen can really overwhelm managers. In the weekly rental "game" - you will do in one week what apartment managers do in four weeks. There is little or no room for "sliding" on revenue ~ there is not place to easily work with someone when they become behind on their rent. This was one of my major concerns. I have always been a manager that was concerned about revenue protection. To me, it is much more profitable to work with someone to get the money owed than to immediately do an eviction and have the lost revenue while an apartment sits empty and the process of eviction wends it course.

The decision was made that the process would work, and that I could make a "go" of what was in front of me. Fortunately, time has proved me correct (so far) and my collections and revenue are where they need to be.

The push was to have me move on-site. This is a situation fraught with peril. Once tenants know you live on-site, they have a tendency to call you for any situation minor or major. Of course, the major situations are important. The fact that the door of the cupboard over the sink isn't closing tightly isn't.

I have a friend who managed a very large complex and lived on-site. She actually issued to tenants a "blood, flood, fire" memo. She told them that if they knocked on her door after 8pm in the evening - it had better involve blood, a flood or a fire. Otherwise, it was going to involve blood...and very quickly.

The move itself to the complex should have been quite simple, however ~ being me ~ it was anything but simple. The first load was on Saturday, and all seemed well. Then the skies opened up and the deluge began. (Maybe the heavens were trying to tell me something!) It was decided that the rest of the move would occur on Sunday. This was a good thing - as it gave me a little more time to prepare.

As one of the loads was heading down the highway, one of my craft bags opened up and there was a trail of glitter flowing from the bed of the pick-up truck. I informed the people helping me move, that the first person who made a comment about fairy dust was going to be hurt ~ badly!!
Then came the saga of the dresser. It was too large to be lifted over the obstacles in the way and appeared too large to fit though the doors (which seemed to be designed for those hiding doors you see in old movies). Finally, with much swearing and sweating it was ensconced in its place and all was well.

Unfortunately, my apartment now looks as if it is the remnants of a garage sale - and I have much to dig through and sort through. I think that by Friday I will be able to find some clothes to wear and maybe even some dishes to eat off of!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That line about fairy dust did fairly crack me up in a big way... I would've gone for pixie dust had I been there, but would have settled for just wearing a sh*t-eating grin :-)

Glad the move is done, but unpacking is always a big pain... probably why we haven't moved in 30 years :) We used to move around a lot when we were young, and we're just glad to be settled in one place. The last move we did was a shift to a smaller apartment in the same building. We managed to do the entire thing in a few hours, having a floorplan ahead of time helped, as I could lay out the rooms ahead of time.

Hope you have a quiet week!

I loved blood, flood, or fire too! I have to give a copy of that to our building superintendent.