Wednesday, December 6, 2006

grateful for all ~



Since I don't drive, the bus is my usual form of transportation. Several weeks ago, during some really wet, nasty weather, I watched a very elderly, frail gentleman get on the bus with two plastic shopping bags. I became concerned because it was obvious he was not well - at one point he almost passed out from coughing. The bus driver didn't even ask him for the fare. He sat across from me, and I realized that not only was he not well, but homeless - everything in those two bags was everything he had. Several tried to offer things - but he was (I think) too concerned with getting in trouble with the bus driver - who already had an "I'm thinking how to take care of this" look.

I teared up as I sat there, and realized that no matter what is going on in my life, whatever might not be working well in my body I need to be grateful. I have been blessed. A couple of stops before mine, he got off.

When my stop came as I was leaving, I put the fare for the gentleman in the fare box, and thanked the driver for his kindness.

Old Man In The Park

By David Lewis

Old man why do you walk so slow?
To give me time to see the flowers grow.

Old man why do you stop and linger?
To listen to the birds, natures singer.

Old man why do you smile as lovers walk past?
I remember my youth, which passed so fast.

Old man what is your wish for the world today?
That people love people, stop wars without delay.

Old man who is the Lady by your side?
My wife, now almost seventy years a bride.

Old man,sometimes you look sad, then smile!
Come walk with me, share my dreams, down the last enchanted mile.

dr

No comments: